Just this week got back from 5 days in Denmark where we were building a Fiesta R1 for a rally team called MP Motorsport – Prior to this they have a Puma running around 200bhp using a ShawSpeed 1.6 Sigma. Unfortunately they crashed the car into a tree.. and then were hit from behind pretty much making the car and cage scrap.
So we were called in to build their new car – It’s not hugely quick but it is built to FIA regulations for the R1 class. If you ever have any work done by me (DM Prep) you’ll find I’m a little bit OCD and never really satisfied – so it was a bit tricky to build this car to my standard within the timescale we had – but luckily we managed it.
Taken from the M-Sport site “the R1 is set to become the first step of the ladder for competitors looking to start out in the Fiesta rally family. The base kit is designed to provide all the safety features required and when combined with the various option kits gives competitors with a 3 or 5 door car the chance to add items piece by piece until they have an R2” ”
Put simply it is 130PS, 152NM torque – Bilstein Suspension, Eibach Springs, 4.6 CWP, T45 Cage and all the safety gear required.
By the time we had arrived the team hadn’t taken delivery of their dampers, so we’ve left it with them to fit.
Anyway – Here’s a few photos, and a few photos of the brewery tour we managed to squeeze in! as well as a walk around a car collection in Denmark.
It was a mammoth road trip – took around 18hrs in total with about 3 stops for the toilet!
Bare in mind this was a Focus ST Estate – It was pretty full!
Anyway – we arrived and we were greeted by this – Freshly painted caged shell. It’s a bit of a serious cage – and should be due to the fact it’s being used in competition. It also makes it a pain in the bottom to fit the dash and heater box back in – with an R2 fiesta you don’t use the original heater box – much easier.
On with it and fitting the interior and auxiliary looms – I’ve jumped a few steps such as silver circling it etc but didn’t really have time to take photos! My bald swede getting stuck in the cage no doubt..
Extinguisher and piping in – starting to lay the aux loom.
Brake pipes going in
Control Panel, Handbrake back in
Tank guard on, prepped and taped up to stop any stones getting in and rubbing through..
Heat matting on to stop the exhaust burning through
Engine Loom going into place
Looking a bit more tidy now
Absolute rats nest inside – laying things out making sure they route around the dash properly!
Roll over valve fitted
Right side loom starting to take shape, still messy.
Silvertaping and some heat protection on the linkages.
Tank and beam back in
Time to start cutting heater box to bits
Measuring up for navigators footrest
Spare wheel strap and bar in
Silver taping done
Interior looking a little better
Doors built up and door cards back on
Dash going back in – with a fight!
Just a little photo dump off my phone. Enjoy.